Robots A Plenty

AKA the Ready Player One and Pacific Rim: Uprising Reviews

With another long weekend in the books, Holy Week here in the Philippines ends with a bang showing two of my most anticipated films this year, Ready Player One and the sequel to Pacific Rim. What do they have in common you ask? Robots. Giant Fighting Robots.

Yup, I made this statement just to coincide with the title.

Ready Player One (2018)


Wade Watts/Parzival (Photo: Warner Bros. Pictures)
It's no surprise that I'm excited for this film. Think about it, with Steven Spielberg at it's helm, a multitude of licenses at its disposal, and an abundance of Easter Eggs (happy easter), what's not to love? Even by watching some of it's early trailers, you aren't really shown a sneak peak to a film, you're taking a glimpse at what I would consider to be the best film of the year. Ready Player One (the film) spearheaded by Spielberg to me is what Avatar (non airbender version) is to James Cameron, a simple tale in reality turned up to 11 by a great cast, amazing music and breathtaking visuals. And I'm not talking breathtaking when you watch it in IMAX, I'm talking so visuals so lifelike and so real that you'd want to watch it in IMAX.


The Easter Egg (Photo: Warner Bros. Pictures)
Ready Player One revolves around our protagonists Parzival and Art3mis on their journey to obtain the Easter Egg, an object that would grant it's owner riches and ownership over the world of the OASIS. They aren't the only ones interested in obtaining the Easter Egg though as Innovative Online Industries or IOI seeks to obtain the Easter Eggs in their pursuit of total domination because let's face it, when the world is as bad as it is and you have  nowhere else to go but online, whoever controls the OASIS might as well control the whole world.



(Photo: Warner Bros. Pictures)
Before I get ahead of myself  though, what's the OASIS? In Filipino terms, the OASIS is to Percival's world is Ragnarok Online's first foray to the Philippine market back in the early 2000s. How similar could it be you might ask? It comes with catfishes or in our vernacular, Chixilog (Chicks na may itlog), men who masquerade as women in-game to appeal to our socially awkward brethren. Or in normal person terms, the OASIS is the end all and be all escape from reality.

What can I say about this film. In my eyes it's a masterpiece. Let me put it this way. If you love pop culture, you'll enjoy. If you love video games, you'll enjoy. If you love movies, you'll enjoy. Its weird thinking about how its possible to mishmash multiple film genres all in one amazing film but if you wanna mix adventure, fantasy, comedy, horror, and the thriller (nope not the genre, the Michael Jackson song) and somebody think's it's not possible, show them this film. Seriously, I never thought I'd see the day Hello Kitty and Chucky from Child's play would be in the same film together and not just as stickers or something but the actual characters and here they are together in the same universe. Want something even more nonsensical, the Battletoads fought with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and they had support from Chun-li (of Street Fighter) and Tracer (of Overwatch). Also on a personal note, the Iron Giant was there. Even Godzilla (mecha Godzilla) and King Kong were there. I kid you not, this film has so many Easter Eggs that seeing all of these pop culture icons come alive is more than worth the money it takes to watch the film. We can't forget about the music though. Ready Player One gives homage to musical influence from films of the past and wonderful films in general. I repeat, even if it were just for a nostalgia trip, this film is amazing. The DeLorean never looked cooler too.


The Iron Giant (Photo: Warner Bros. Pictures)

Cameos and Easter Eggs a plenty 
(Photo: Warner Bros. Pictures)
I'd love to gush more on how great this film was to me, but like this wonderful film, this review too must come to an end. If you were alive during the 80's and still remember that feeling you had watching the Back to the Future film, I guarantee you'll recall it here. Admittedly, if I weren't as sleepy and tired as I am, I probably would've had tears going down my face as the film ended.

The film ended and I wanted more. The hype was real and if there's a film you MUST watch, Ready Player One is that film.


The DeLorean back in action (Photo: Warner Bros. Pictures)
10/10 Highly recommend and would definitely watch again given the chance.
15/10 if the limits could be broken for sure

Comments

Popular Posts